A Whirlwind of New Mexico

Last week we made all types of preparations for cows, birds, dogs, plants, flowers, and farm items to be cared for in our absence.  I would like to say we can just dash about on our travels, but it takes quite a bit of prep just to leave for a few days.  

We all hopped on a plane and headed out to New Mexico for a few days of culture, sight seeing, rock climbing, rafting, hiking, and a lot of eating.  Oh, and I can say, as the collector of Native American Jewelry, I did a bit of shopping.  

Our first stop was Sante Fe, New Mexico.  


The lady above is an experienced native.  She is dressed for the bright sun.  Us, not so much as we didn't look as chic as she did, but we got by just the same.  


The brightness of the culture only has competition from the brightness of the sun.  Vivid colors, ideas, and artwork were everywhere.  


I loved all of it.  


In the Santa Fe Plaza, these Native American vendors sell their handmade jewelry and crafts.   Most items are signed and made with delicate care and detail.  Yes, I did come away with a couple of items.  


Sadly this lady would not fit in my suitcase.  



There are more tales to tell and more photos to share.  We also made it to Taos, Los Alamos, and Albuquerque, New Mexico.  

We arrived home in the wee hours of Sunday morning.  Our English Pointer decided to mark our arrival by rolling on a dead groundhog and dashing into the house.  

What a greeting.  

Good times 


Linking up with Mersad 





Comments

  1. These are great photos. We were there in May and loved Santa Fe. It was our second trip and we are planning on a third sometime in the future, staying there for up to a week. I look forward to more of your travels in this area. It's is a favorite of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs do care--LOL! Just wanted to tell you how much he missed you with that elegant perfume. Sounds like you had a wonderful time----the colors are vivid.
    Enjoy!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. Just like a dog. New Mexico is like a foreign country. Glad you got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...what a 'cool' place to visit in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics.
    You were in my very favorite city.
    I love Santa Fe, the art, the food, the smell of burning piñon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, wonderful images from your New Mexico and your trip. Sounds like an great family vacation. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful adventure you had! I have long wanted to visit all the places you saw, especially Taos. I do hope you photograph the things you bought there and share it with us. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting! Sounds like a wonderful trip! I can't wait to see and read more about it! I love New Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one of those skeleton dogs - a friend brought it home for me one year! I've always wanted to go out there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! All except the groundhog rolling part. :-) Looking forward to hearing more and seeing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i do understand the prep work needed when you want to slip away and you have a lot of animals. worth it, i'm sure, i have been to mexico and i really enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a grand place to spend some time. I always wanted to see Taos, I'm a big fan of Georgia O'Keefe, her presence must still be evident there. Nice photos, I enjoyed seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you enjoyed your trip to New Mexico and welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I haven't been anywhere with the family in years, someone always has to stay home for the animals. A major accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds/looks like a great getaway! I've never been to NM but hear great things about it. The rolling on the groundhog would prompt me to do an about face and skidaddle back to the airport. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fun trip. In all our travels, we've never gotten to Santa Fe/Taos. It's one of the places I wish I had seen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that looks like a perfectly wonderful get-a-way . . .
    (We are "getting away" for two days and I am still trying to settle care for our little gem.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really awesome, Michelle. I love stuff like this. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It will be culture shock for most chinese, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes at the greeting your dog gave you....I am glad you got to get away for a little bit of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I haven't been to New Mexico for many years. Sounds like a great trip. And such interesting artworks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been to New Mexico, but never Santa Fe. It always looks so interesting and vibrant. Glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Michelle! :) What a perfectly wonderful holiday break with so many colourful and cultural things to enjoy, and I enjoyed seeing your pictures. That was quite a reception you received, :) Mel often rolls in cow dung after she has had a bath!!!:) Just love them to bits!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a great trip! i love the artwork you shared, especially the little riders in the 2nd photo...too bad the lady wouldn't fit in your suitcase but you have a nice photo of her so that's the next best thing right?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my! Santa Fe is the best place to shop for turquoise! I have some Zuni and Navajo jewelry from back in the '70s and I've added to it over the years. I don't have a lot but I love what I have. I go on Etsy to look sometimes too! I'm so glad you had a good time! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great post. Loved it all. That Skelton Lady was cool and so were what I assume to be "dogs". Speaking of dogs...what a nice homecoming gift your dog gave you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts